Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Tradition Unlike Any Other

If I have my facts straight, the legendary golfer, Bobby Jones, once said years ago of the new phenom, Jack Nicholas, "He plays a game of which I am not acquainted."

Bobby Jones might have said the same thing about my golf game.

However, unlike Nicholas, it wouldn't have been a compliment.

Anyway, the next two weeks of professional golf are the most enjoyable ones for me.  This morning The Masters got underway in Augusta, Georgia.  Next week, The Heritage tourney will be played at the Harbor Town Golf Links on Hilton Head Island, SC.

My wife and I lived in Hilton Head for almost four years.  I quickly learned that The Heritage was a very big deal.

I lost track of the number of folks from the church I served who came up to me and proudly said, "Pastor, I won't be in church this Sunday.  I'm (fill in the blank) at The Heritage."

It took lots of volunteers to make a golf tournament successful.  People from our church carried scoring signs, picked up pro golfers at the airport, worked concession stands, and helped run the parking lots.

My wife and I lived on a golf course so I had plenty of opportunities to get out and hit the ball around.  I remember a short time where I actually had improved my game to the point where I felt like I knew what I was doing every time I stood over the ball.

Then I went on vacation and didn't take my clubs.  When I finally got back to the course, the magic was gone.  It has never returned.

Now, with my back hurting so much I don't go out very much to play.  But I know how hard the game of golf really is.  So I like watching it (even if my wife says that watching a bag of popcorn cook in the microwave is more exciting).

My pick for The Masters is Phil Mickelson but I got a feeling that Tiger Woods (a guy for which I have zero respect) is going to win and continue his assault on Jack Nicholas' record of 18 majors victories.

Whatever...at my house on Sunday, it will be as quiet as it is when a golfer is lining up a putt.  Hey, it's The Masters!