Monday, August 25, 2014

The Lord is with you

A number of years ago I flew from South Carolina to the Valley of the Sun to visit my kids.  My oldest daughter, Stephanie, picked me up at the airport and had a big evening planned for me.  But first, she explained, she had a trial in court to attend to and I would be able to accompany her.

I must say, I really enjoyed seeing my daughter, at that time a Maricopa Country Prosecutor, in action.  She looked and sounded so professional.  I was thrilled to be in court.

However, the young man Stephanie was prosecuting was less than thrilled to be there.  "Fear" was written all over his face.  By standing before the judge, I think the young man finally realized just how much trouble he had created for himself.  By the end of the court session, I felt a little sorry for the fellow.  He was so afraid.

In our weekly Treasuring God's Word reading of the Book of Acts we're moving through the apostle Paul's trial before Festus.  Here Paul was an innocent man.  Witness after witness testified against him but none could prove Paul guilty of anything.

Even more important was this - Paul stood before Festus in the knowledge that the Lord was with him.  Even as Paul appealed to Caesar for a hearing, the Lord's will was being done.  The Lord had assured the apostle that Paul would preach the Gospel as he traveled to Rome.  And that is exactly what Paul did.

We can trust God to keep His promises to us.  Paul later wrote to the Romans: He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things? Yes, but of course, we can trust that God will give us freedom from guilt; answer our prayers; give guidance for daily living; assure us of eternal life in heaven and so much more.  God was with His servant, Paul.  You can trust that the Lord will be with you as well.