Monday, February 2, 2015

Superbowl Highlights

Best Meal before the Game - served at my house by my dear, sweet wife.  Yesterday was my mother-in-law's birthday so Sherri fixed her Mom's favorite meal - roast, mashed potatoes, veggies, salad and rolls.  Not real flashy but oh, so good.  Also, we didn't have a two hour wait like all the poor folks who were at Westgate and thought they'd grab a quick bite.

Best Entertainment before the Game - The Kitty Bowl.  My mother-in-law suggested that we DVD this show because the grandkids would enjoy watching it at some future date.  Sounded pretty good to me.  So we decided to check out the first few minutes and nearly got hooked.  Cute kitties doing cute kitty things - very entertaining.  But then we regained our wits and turned back to...

Best Golf Tourney in town - The Waste Manangement Phoenix Open.  Tiger was missing.  Phil was missing.  And still, it was an exciting finish with a first time winner.  And finally, the Chamber of Commerce got some great Valley of the Sun winter weather for the rest of the country to see.

Super Bowl with two teams that I don't care about - this one.  I've always disliked New England ever since they bounced the St. Louis Rams out of the 2002 Super Bowl.  I was certain that Kurt Warner and the "Greatest Show on Turf" would win their second Super Bowl in three years.  Didn't happen. And since Seattle is in the same division as our Arizona Cardinals, well, how could I root for them?

Best Super Bowl Commercial - Budweiser's "Lost Puppy" commercial.  Budweiser does it again!  They told a Disney movie in about 60 seconds.  The puppy in peril, the rescue by the Clydsdales and the reunion with puppy and owner - so well done!

Best Super Bowl Halftime Show - not this one.  I am definitely in the "too old" category.  I don't know much about Katy Perry and I couldn't understand a word she sang.  The backup dancers in those costumes - just weird.  Dancing dolphins? It was a spectacle but I would have much preferred Sir Paul McCartney (who, by the way, was at the game!).  On the other hand, my son and daughter-in-law absolutely loved the show, so, what do I know?

Worst Play Call in the History of the Super Bowl - Pete Carroll's decision to pass on the one yard line. You had Marshawn Lynch in your backfield.  The guy ran for over 100 yards.  Surely he could gain one more yard, right? Instead, Seattle decided to pass.  The ball was intercepted and New England, on the brink of losing another Super Bowl, pulled out an improbable victory.

Best Announcer - Chris Collingsworth.  NBC had every one of their big guns there but Collingsworth consistently made the game interesting with his insights.  He's also not afraid to make the tough comment.  He did not hesitate expressing his dismay at the play call by Seattle on New England's one yard line.

Most Valuable Player - Julian Edelman.  Sorry, Tom Brady.  The short, quick and tough wide receiver so well against the vaunted Seattle defense.  Edelman made one clutch play after another.  His key third down catch, after getting his bell rung by a Seahawks defensive back, kept a crucial drive going for New England.  Wow! Edelman wasn't going to let his team lose.

Well, that's it from me.  Only 364 more days until the Arizona Cardinals play in Super Bowl 50 (Well, I can dream, can't I?).