Wednesday, March 18, 2015

For Grace to be Patient

Does impatience get the best of you? Do you often make messes in your life because of your unwillingness to wait and let God do His work in your life and in His own time? If that's you, try on this prayer:

Dear Savior, how patient you have been with me! Too many times I have failed You, yet You have not turned from me, but with compassion You have sought me and drawn me to Your forgiving heart. How thankful I am that you have tenderly pleaded with me through Your Word and Your Christian church! Grant that I might learn from You to be patient with others, thoughtful and considerate, even though they irritate, upset, and disturb my peace of mind.  Remove from my heart all resentment toward those who provoke me by word and action.  Do not let me return evil for evil, unkindness for unkindness, harsh words and caustic comments.

When You, gracious Savior, were mistreated, misunderstood, hurt and bruised in body and sorrowful in soul, You prayed, "Father, forgive them."  Grant me the grace to face the many vexing problems of the day with patience and contentment.  Let me lean on You for strength and guidance and abide in Your time, Savior and Lord.  Amen.

From "My Prayer Book," Concordia Publishing House