Friday, December 18, 2015

Star Wars!

Our friends called us one afternoon in May 1977 and asked if we wanted to go with them to see a film that they had seen the night before.

"A movie so good you want to see it again, right way?" I asked.  "What's the name of this film?"

"Star Wars!" our friends enthusiastically replied.

They said, "We'll go to the 9 o'clock showing.  Pick you up at 6 pm."

"What? Why are we going so early?" I asked.

I learned that we would be standing in line during the 7 pm show so we could get in at 9 o'clock.

I remember my last comment: "This had better be good."

It was.

I couldn't remember the last time I'd had so much fun at a film.  I could relate the the frustrations of Luke Skywalker.  He didn't want to be a farmer.  He wanted to be a fighter pilot.

I loved the humor and sarcasm of Han Solo.  I wanted to be that guy in high school.  But I didn't have an ounce of Han's DNA in my body.

And Princess Leia - well, it didn't hurt your eyes to look at her.  And she was not to be messed around with.

Now, Luke, Han and Leia are back with a new cast of characters.  And "The Force Awakens" is receiving rave reviews.  It looks like the word, "blockbuster" can be applied to this film.

My dear, sweet wife and I are taking a week off following Christmas Day services.

What will we do? Star Wars has shot to the top of the to-do list.

But I'll be looking to find the film running multiple times at some mega-theatre complex.

I'm too old to sit in a line for several hours just to see a movie.