Thursday, March 3, 2016

Don't bother me! I'm reading!

Prior to last night's worship service I decided to go out for a bite to eat.  One of our members gave me an Olive Garden gift card that had money left on it so soup and salad sounded like a pretty good pre-service meal.

When I was done I decided to stop by my favorite book store on the way back to church.  This store is actually the Savers store on Bell and 79th Avenue.  I like browsing through places like Savers and Goodwill because you never know what you will find.  Sometimes you walk out empty handed. Sometimes you hit the mother-lode, so to speak.  And that's what happened to me yesterday.

I walked out the door with $128 dollars of books for $12.95.  Really! Here's what I'll be reading in the coming weeks:

"The Closer" tells the story of the great New York Yankees relief pitcher, Mariano Rivera.  No pitcher saved more games for his team than Rivera.  He is a Christian with a strong testimony for Jesus so this book may find itself at the top of the stack.

"Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson was published about five years ago and I basically ignored the book. I'd read some stuff about Jobs and I wasn't impressed with the stories I'd heard of how badly he treated people.  But I started flipping through the pages and realized that it might be worth taking a look at how he built Apple into what it is today.

"Last Man Down" is the story of a NYC firefighter, Richard Picciotto, who somehow managed to survive the fall of the World Trade Center.  Without a thought regarding their own lives many firefighters, police men and women and first responders bravely went into those stricken building to save lives.  Don't know anything about the book but I'm looking forward to reading it.

"Making Records" is written by music producer, Phil Ramone.  Ramone has worked with everyone from Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett to Billy Joel and Paul Simon.  I love music and have always been interested in the creative process of writing, recording and producing music.  This book, too, will find its way to the top of the stack.

"Unstoppable" was written by former ASU champion wrestler, Anthony Robles.  A unique athlete, Robles was born with only one leg.  But through the inspiration of his mother and his own hard work, Robles became one of the greatest wrestlers the college ranks have ever seen.  I love inspirational stories.  I think I'll like this book.

Well, gotta go.  I might be able to get a little reading in before I head to church.  See you at Savers!