Friday, March 25, 2016

He has redeemed me!

As we prepare to observe Good Friday tonight at Life in Christ (service at 7 pm), I couldn't think of anything better to meditate on than Luther's explanation to the 2nd Article of the Apostles' Creed.  I first memorized the meanings to the creeds as a 5th grade student at Redeemer Lutheran Day School in Tucson, Arizona.  To this day, Luther's words continue to fill me with a sense of awe and thanksgiving.

I  believe that Jesus Christ, true God, begotten of the Father from eternity, and also true man, born of the Virgin Mary, is my Lord.  He has redeemed me, a lost and condemned person, purchased and won me from all sins, from death, and from the power of the devil.  He did this not with gold or silver, but with His holy, precious blood and with His innocent suffering and death, so that i may be His own, live under Him in His kingdom, and serve Him in everlasting righteousness, innocence and blessedness, just as He is risen from the dead, lives and reigns to all eternity.  This is most certainly true.