Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Books on the nite stand

I love this quote from Erasmus: Whenever I get a little money, I buy books.  And if there is any left over, then I buy food and clothes.

My situation isn't quite like Erasmus.  God has blessed my dear, sweet wife and I with the resources to buy food, clothes and all the other necessities of life.  But there is always a little money to buy books.  And since I love to read, there is never a shortage of books on my nite stand.  Presently I'm reading:

"3 Words That Will Change Your Life" by Mike Novotny.  This book, written by the speaker of the televison program, "Time of Grace," provides the reader with ideas and encouragement for putting God front and center in daily life.  Novotny includes a number of personal stories, some that will cause you to laugh out loud.  Study questions are included at the end of each chapter.

"Martin Luther on Mental Health: by Stephen Saunders, PhD.  The author has complied Luther's thoughts on how the suffering can be comforted that God's love is sure and certain.  Some dealing with mental illness will often feel guilt.  They conclude that they must have a weak faith to suffering so.  Luther makes it clear that God's grace is sufficient for us all, no matter if depression or guilt seems to be getting the best of us.

"George Harrison - The Reluctant Beatle" by Phillip Norman.  The author has already written massive biographies about John Lennon and Paul McCartney.  Now, he tackles Harrison, who always thought of himself as a second-class Beatle.  Harrison was known for his spirituality.  Norman shows that the most spiritual of the group was also extremely materialistic and a serial adulterer.  

I also have become a fan of British murder-mysteries.  Authors like Hannah Dennison, Catherine Coles, Helena Dixon, and CJ Archer have become new favorites of mine.

Luckily for me, my nite stand is rather large.  There's always room for one more book!