Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Faithful in prayer?

Someone once asked, "What's the best diet? The one you will stick to."

What's the best devotional and prayer tool? The one you will stick to.

That's my problem.  I lack stickiness.

This has always been a challenge for me.  I find a good prayer book or devotional booklet and find the first few weeks or even months to be so beneficial.  But then I have a busy morning and skip.  Or I'm down or depressed and can't pick up the book or my Bible.  Soon, the momentum is lost and I feel guilty for not keeping with it.

That's why I found comfort today in something I wrote down in my journal.  In "Grace Upon Grace" John Kleinig wrote:

God always wants us to start where we are, rather than where we would like to be, on our spiritual journey.  We can therefore face up to our reoccurring failure to live as His holy people and people of prayer.  In fact, our failure is meant to teach us to ask for what we lack and receive everything from Christ.  (page 38)