Wednesday, November 22, 2023

What are you most thankful for?

Thanksgiving Day is always special.  Worship in the morning...family arriving around noon...digging into Mr. Turkey...lamenting at the table, "I ate toooo much,"...falling asleep in front of the TV during the football game...making a turkey sandwich for dinner (a small sandwich)...going to bed thinking, "This was the best Thanksgiving Day ever."

However you spend Thanksgiving Day, I pray that it is a special one.  And maybe in the midst of all the hustle and bustle, you'll find a quiet moment to thank the One who makes this day so worthwhile, your loving and gracious God.

As I was paging through my journal I found this quote from Dr. Bruce Hartung: I walk through life together with others, and those others are people whom Christ has placed in my life.  They are His gifts.

Sometime tomorrow I'll give thanks to God for my many friends.  Having served in three congregations, my dear, sweet wife and I have made many friends.  As we grow older our appreciation for those friends grows and grows.  They have blessed and enriched our lives.  They have loved us in the best and worst of times.  Through their friendship they have shown us the heart of God, a heart full of compassion and care.

If I had to make a list of all the things for which I'm thankful to God, I'd need a ream of paper.  And that wouldn't be enough!  But somewhere at the top of the list, I would give thanks to God for friends, His precious gifts.