Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Best $5 I ever spent

Some of my friends know that that I love to shop at thrift stores and places like Goodwill.  You just never know what kind of bargains you might find.  One day you might leave the store empty handed; the next you just might find a treasure that really puts a smile on your face.

On Monday I was shopping in one of my favorite stores when I happened upon the two volume "Complete Far Side" by Gary Larson.  I had struck the mother lode - 4,333 cartoons drawn by Larson.  Each volume included his observations about the art of cartooning, letters written to Larson or various newspapers, either praising or trashing a particular cartoon, and a foreword penned by Steve Martin.

So far I've worked through the first two years - 1980 & 81.  There were classic cartoons (like the one Larson drew for the Wonker Wiener Company - remember that one?), some that I did not recall seeing and several in which I thought to myself, "I don't get it," a regular reaction by readers of Larson's work.  Flipping through the pages brought back to mind the joy of going outside to fetch the morning paper and immediately finding the Far Side panel for the day.  A great way to start the day!

The cartoon below I actually used for a devotion in my Homiletics class at Seminary.  I doubt that Glenn Nielsen remembers this (my ideas for devotions are usually not very memorable).  But at the time is seemed like the perfect introduction for my devo on why the omniscience of God is good for us.