Wednesday, August 9, 2017

A Bonhoffer Prayer

Dietrich Bonhoffer was a German pastor and theologian who died just prior to the end of World War II. He was convicted of plotting to kill Adolph Hitler and was hanged in a prison camp, just days before the camp was liberated.

He is best known for his writings, especially his classic, "The Cost of Discipleship." Even while imprisoned, Bonhoffer continued to write .  His "Letters and Papers from Prison" offers a keen insight of how faith in God enabled Bonhoffer to endure through the harsh rigors of prison.

I discovered a prayer of Bonhoffer's in a book I picked up yesterday.  Phyllis Tickle's, "The Night Offices," is a companion devotional book to her "The Divine Hours" trilogy.  Perhaps this prayer will bless you as it blessed me.

In me there is darkness, but in You there is light; I am lonely, but You do not leave me; I am feeble in heart, but with You there is help; I am restless, but with You there is peace. In me there is bitterness, but with You there is patience; I do not understand Your ways, but You know the way for me.  Amen.