Wednesday, August 23, 2017

In praise of the to-do list

I have a love-hate relationship with day planners.  I like to be organized.  I like to have an idea of what my work day might look like.  But day planners are like the 10 Commandments - all Law. There's nothing there that offers grace.  Nothing that jumps off the page and says, "Hey! If you don't get it all done, that's OK - there's always tomorrow!" Instead, the tasks and responsibilities are written down in black and white and you know whether you've gotten them done or not.  For me, there's a certain pressure there that I just don't like too much.

However, there I sat at my desk yesterday at 8:45 am.  My to-do list in front of me.  Since I'm going to be out of the office a few days this week I had a rather long to-do list.  But this time, rather than becoming depressed by all the things that needed to be done, I took the list on as a challenge.  I thought to myself, "If I keep my head down, and there are few interruptions, I can get all this done. And won't that be a great feeling?"

Here's the list:
  Get approved a free will offering so we can make more Blessing Bags
  Email to thank team for putting Blessing Bags together
  Make changes to the Music Schedule\
  Contact several families about scheduling baptisms
  Make arrangements to help a family take care of a debt
  Make arrangements to do a house blessing for a family
  Set up an appointment for next week
  Write to an interested individual about an Evangelism project
  Process Lay Leadership materials
  Prepare Sat/Sun Worship
  Prepare Treasuring God's Word devotional
  Review Attendance Cards and rebuild my personal prayer list
  Prepare Sunday morning Bible class
  Send information regarding Sunday's sermon to our power point team

At 6:45 pm I checked off the last item from the list.

So now, for a few days, I'm free as the breeze (so they say). And everything is ready for worship this weekend.  How did the Eagles put it? I got a "peaceful, easy feeling."  Feels good!