Tuesday, February 20, 2018

My Lord, my love, is crucified

I came across some poetry from Charles Wesley yesterday while reading my devotional book.  I don't know if these are hymn lyrics - I don't recognize them from any hymn I know. But I was taken by how Wesley ended each stanza.

O Lord divine, what hast thou done?
 The Incarnate God hath died for me!
The Father's coeternal Son
 Bore all my sins upon the tree!
The Son of God for me hath died
 My Lord, my Love, is crucified.

Behold Him, all ye that pass by
 The bleeding Prince of life and peace!
Come, sinners, see your Savior die,
 And say, was ever grief like his?
Come, feel with me His blood applied:
 My Lord, my Love, is crucified. Amen.

Lent is the time that we are given the opportunity to see again with fresh eyes that sacrifice God - that's right, God - made to atone for all our sins.  May your observance of Lent cause you to fall in love all over again with your Lord and Savior.