Thursday, February 22, 2018

Wow! What a hockey game!

My dear, sweet wife and I had eaten our low-cal chocolate bars and it was time to turn out the lights and get some shut-eye, as they say.  But as I laid there, I kept thinking about what I was missing - Lindsey Vonn and Mikaela Shiffrin skiing in the Alpine combined event.

I was impressed how Shiffrin came back after a disappointing performance in the slalom, her best event.  She nabbed the silver medal.  Von, who raced last, hit a gate with the tip of her ski and was unable to complete the run.

With that done I was ready to head to bed.  But first I thought I should check in on the USA/Canada Women's Gold Medal hockey game.

It was in the third period, the Americans had tied the game and they were really taking the action to Canada.  Had it not been by stout goaltending from the Canadian goalie the Americans would have put the game away.

The 20 minute overtime period was equally exciting and, again, the American had their chances but couldn't score. 

The game would end with a shoot-out and I was quite concerned.  Even though the USA had really controlled the 3rd period and overtime, anything can happen in a shoot-out.  And the USA had a 20 year-old goal keeper in the pipes.

The teams were tied after five shots.  America went ahead with a beautiful goal that got past Canada's excellent goaltender.  Then Canada sent out their best scorer.  She tried to go through the legs of Maddie Rooney, the 20 year-old USA goaltender, but was turned aside.  With that the USA overcame years of disappointment (they had finished second to Canada in the last four Olympics) and celebrated - they were gold medalists!

It gave me a warm feeling to see the players celebrating - it was pure joy!  Watching them stand as a team while the Star Spangled Banner played gave me goosebumps.

But the most impressive things of all - the players were singing the National Anthem!

It frustrates me to see so many of our gold medalists remain mute while the anthem is being played.  You happens it over and over again.  And then you watch many athletes from other countries singing to their anthems with gusto and you can't help but wonder what is wrong with so many from our teams.

Not these ladies.  They sang with pure joy.  They looked proud to be Americans.  They represented their country well.  And I was glad to see it, even if it was past 1 am when I went to bed!