Monday, February 5, 2018

That game was super!

Super Bowl Sunday - it's kind of like a national holiday, right? In our family it's been customary to have the kids and grand kids over, place a spread of food on the dining room table, graze at the table all day and then finally settle down to watch the big game.

This year was different.  Our youngest daughter lives in Wisconsin.  Our oldest daughter and her family and plans with another family who have become good friends.  A couple from our church invited us to their house to watch the game but then we got a call from my son who said his two kids really wanted to see Papa and Nanny.  How do you say "no" to that request.

We were all pretty certain that the Patriots would win the game.  And when they fell behind we were sure of it.  Remember the big deficit they made up last year to beat the Falcons? Tom Brady, who has broken my heart more than once, is a big game clutch player.  I don't bet against him.

But even after the Patriots took the lead late in the game, Philly did not fold.  They Foles! Nick Foles, their back up quarterback, a guy who was thinking of retirement about a year ago, led them on the game wining drive.  He even caught a touchdown pass on a play called "the Philly special."  Apparently, when the play was called in the huddle the players couldn't help but smile.  They had run the play six times in practice and it worked every time.  It was a gutsy call on fourth down and one yard to go but it worked! Foles was votes MVP of the game. 

Since Philadelphia has a great quarterback coming back next year, maybe the Cardinals should put Foles on their radar.  Just saying.

None of the commercials stood out to me.  Truth is, I was so caught up in the game.  The first responder commercial I saw was impressive.  I saw Eli Manning and some of the Giants players doing some dancing.  The rest seemed pretty forgettable to me.

Justin Timberlake? Now I know I'm really old because I couldn't understand a word he sang and couldn't figure out what the big deal is about him.  But I was assured by my daughter in law that JT (as he is called) is a big deal!

What was more impressive to me was how the Eagles coach and two of his players demonstrated their Christian faith by giving Jesus praise on national television.  I'm sure that Jesus had nothing to do with the Eagles victory.  But I read on a church sign that there are 33 mentions of eagles in the Bible and none about patriots. 

Draw your own conclusions.