Wednesday, November 28, 2018

A Christmas tradition continued

Last night Sherri and I and some friends from church traveled to Grand Canyon University for their seventh presentation of the Messiah, Handel's great masterpiece.  We learned that of all the great works composed by masters like Mozart, Beethoven, Bach and others, the Messiah is the only classical musical piece that remains continually performed. Amazing!

Have you been to GCU's multi-purpose auditorium? It's primary used is for basketball but the venue holds concerts, conferences and many other events. It's primary drawback? Seating.

To set in a bleacher seat is torture, especially if you have long legs like me.  These seats make flying coach on an airplane feel like first class.  I was so uncomfortable it was hard to concentrate on the music.

Fortunately, when the second half began, the people seated to my left had moved.  I was able to pivot in the seat, stretch out my legs and finally felt comfortable.

Coincidentally, the music got much better. Ha! "The Hallelujah Chorus" was performed with great power and "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" brought tears to my eyes. The beauty of Handel's confession of the Christ cannot be matched.  It never fails to help me rejoice in Jesus, my Savior.

Sherri and I started this tradition many years ago.  With few exceptions (our South Carolina years) we have managed to attend a performance of the Messiah each Advent season.  Handel's magnum opus never fails to put us in the Christmas spirit - God's way!