Thursday, November 1, 2018

Six pounds down - ??????? to go

A few weeks ago I got on the bathroom scales and got the shock of my life. I weighed more than I ever have in my life (I won't tell you how much!). In a way, this was no surprise.  When it seems that the buttons and zippers on your clothes are about to explode, well, that's not a good look.  Something had to be done.

A diet takes discipline.  And that's what I dreaded.  Being disciplined is extremely hard, especially after you've been an undisciplined foodie! Like many people, chocolate is my downfall.  And, it was a real disappointment that even though you can switch to something that is good for you - dark chocolate - you can still gain wait! To modify a phrase from the Rolling Stones - "You can't always eat what you want!"

So, a month ago I modified my diet.  Small portions.  Less sugar.  More fruits and - I can't believe I'm writing this - vegetables. Abstaining from my favorite adult beverages. Oh, the pain of it all!

I also began a walking regiment. I walk at least 25 minutes six days a week.  Depending on the day I'll squeeze in a second walk.  With trusty iPod and earbuds on hand I can get a pretty good pace going.  Maybe I'll speed walk a 5 K (or not).

I hope that as I lose the weight my back will begin feeling better.  It seems to ache all the time and I'm sure the extra weight I've been carrying hasn't helped.  A pain-free back would be a real blessing!

The First Article to the Apostles' Creed reminds us that our bodies are a gift from our Creator God. I haven't treated this body so well of late.  So, I pray, that the Lord will help me be disciplined as I seek to keep dropping the pounds - whether I like it or not!