Thursday, November 8, 2018

Preaching to those who mean the most

Any Sunday that I preach at Life in Christ, I receive generous comments from hearers who appreciated and/or were blessed by the message.

Such feedback is gratefully received.  It is a privilege to proclaim God's Word so to know that something was said that encourages a person to keep on living out their new life in Christ is special.

But when the feedback comes from one of your own kids, it is extra meaningful.

My youngest daughter was in town for three and a half weeks.  She left for home on Wednesday. During that time she was able to worship with us three times. On the day she left I received a text from her.

Among the things she wrote was something to the effect that the sermons I preached she was going to listen to over and over once she got home because "they gave her hope."

She and her family are going through some trials right now. She was blessed to be reminded that God's promises can give us unshakable hope when circumstances seem bleak.

What father doesn't want to help their kids? Mine will tell you that I'm not the always the most helpful guy.  I can't repair a car or fix a leaky faucet.  I can't cook them a meal or offer good financial advice.

But I can give them God's Word. At times that doesn't seem like so much.  But I was glad to be reminded by one of my kids that what I can do is often what they need the most.

And that makes me glad.