Friday, November 23, 2018

What are you thankful for?

That was the question someone asked me while at church yesterday.

I thought about it all day yesterday.

And in no particular order...

Thankful for the grace of God in Jesus Christ.  That Jesus would "save a wretch like me" is amazing. In baptism I became one of God's own children, forgiven of my sins and filled with the Holy Spirit. Since that moment, God has generously given me His Word and Supper to nourish and nurture faith to trust and rely on Him more and more.

Thankful for Life in Christ Church. In 14 years God has created a wonderful church family that joyfully receives His gifts and trusts in His promises. Such wonderful friends and fellow soldiers in the Lord's army.

Thankful for those in our church who have been patient with me as I've struggled with depression the past three years.  There are many times when I'm not myself. It's so frustrating.  And yet, many have offered their support and prayers and have affirmed my ministry to them.

Thankful for my dear, sweet wife. In Proverbs 31 we read: A wife of noble character who can find? The writer must have met Sherri. I can't imagine life without her.

Thankful for my three kids. As their Dad, I tend to still think of them as "kids." But they are not. What has happened in their lives, the people they've become, the things they've accomplished - thank you, Lord, for how you've loved and blessed them.

Thankful for my seven grandkids. Nothing puts a smile on my face faster than hearing one of them call me "Poppa."

Thankful for Sherri's folks, Bill and Betty.  They've reached their 90th year and life is so hard for them.  They are frustrated by what they can no longer do. They'd be very glad if the Lord would call them to come and rest in His arms. I appreciate their faithfulness.  And I'm thankful for caregivers like Michele Colla who give Bill and Betty so much of their time.

Thankful for our church Administrative Assistant, Connie Kanzler.  Connie has seen me at my best and my worst and has never stopped being my friend. Like my dear, sweet wife, Connie models the love of Jesus better than anyone I know.

Thankful for our pets. We said "goodbye" to our beloved cat, Tiddy, a couple of months ago. He was the cat who followed me around like a dog.  Our present cat, Glory, is just that - a cat.  She is mostly interested in ensuring that her food bowl is full and that she has a warm place to lay.  And now we have a new pet, Jake.  He's a Border/Terrier mix and is the perfect dog for my non-dog loving wife. It took Jake about 12 minutes to make himself right at home.

Thankful for all the "First Article" gifts that God has given to me and my family.  We want for nothing and have been blessed with far more than we deserve. It sometimes sounds trite but it's true - "God is good!"

Well, I've gone on far too long.  I'm afraid that reading this blog post is like having to watch someone's family movies of their vacation trip.  So I'll stop here.

But I hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving!  And, if you're in the Peoria area, hope to see you at worship this weekend!