Saturday, March 16, 2019

I double-dog dare you to go to church!

Someone gave my dear, sweet wife a daily calendar with sayings from Max Lucado's books.  I got a kick, as they say, from the March 13th entry: I dare you - I double-dog dare you - to expose your worries to an hour of worship.  Your concerns will melt like ice on a July sidewalk.

I know that I have often brought my worries to church with me.  On those days I've prayed that the Holy Spirit would help me see that God is bigger than my worries.  The reading and preaching of His Word helps me understand how God was there to help Moses, David and Jeremiah and others when they needed His help; if God was there for others, surely He will be there for me.  Kneeling at the altar to receive the Lord's Supper brings the assurance that God forgives me when my worries get the best of me; I can leave those worries at the altar and let God deal with them.

So, I double-dog dare you to join us for worship this weekend. Today, our usual Saturday service takes place at 5 pm; Sunday worship at 8, 9:30 and 11 am.  We will continue with our "Run the Race" sermon series, focusing on Luke 13:31-35.  Also, my little group will lead the 9:30 worship.  We've added a new song, appropriate for the Lenten season.  It's an old Chris Tomlin number called "Kindness."  We added a third verses that ties into "Run the Race."  We're pretty excited about playing the song, so if you appreciate God's Word but prefer modern Christian songs, be there at 9:30.

Have a blessed weekend!