Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Praying to yourself?

Can you imagine coming into God's presence to brag about yourself?  In effect, that's what happens in the instructive story Jesus tells in Luke 18:9-14.

Two men come to the temple to pray.  The first, a Pharisee, prays: "God, I thank You that I am not like other people - robbers, evildoers, adulterers - or even like this tax collector.  I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I have."

This is a prayer to himself! The Pharisee peppers his prayer with the personal pronoun, "I!"  He stands by himself in the middle of the temple so people can see and hear him.  The Pharisee wants nothing from God.  He has himself! What more could this proud and self-righteous man want?

But then we have the tax collector.  Notice his position - standing at a distance, as if he is ashamed of coming into the presence of God.  Notice his posture - he looks down, places his hand over his chest in a sign of humility.  Notice his prayer - it's one for the ages: "God, have mercy on me, as sinner."

Unlike the Pharisee, the tax collector desires only one thing from God - mercy.

Do you suppose God grants mercy to sinners like the tax collector (and you and me?).

Jesus said, "I tell you that this man (the tax collector), rather than the other, (Pharisee), went home justified before God.  For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

Lent begins tomorrow.  We often talk about giving up something during this season that leads up to Easter.  How about giving up a prideful attitude? How about seeing others as having as much value as you? How about being willing to do the task you like the least? Let Jesus be your model.  The perfect man was willing to do the dirtiest deed of all - suffering for the sins of people like you and me.

And let the tax collectors prayer be yours too: "God, have mercy on me, a sinner."