Monday, March 25, 2019

Through His Blood

I have to have some blood drawn today.  I have a surgical procedure coming up in a couple of weeks so I need give some of my blood away for testing.

Drawing blood is a relatively easy procedure.  Usually, I'm in and out in about five minutes.  Still, there's a needle in involved.  When it's all over with, I'm usually pretty glad to get back to my car and drive away.

I reluctantly give blood.  Jesus willingly gave His blood.  For us.  For our salvation.

Be shepherds of the church of God, which He bought with His own blood.  Acts 28:28b

In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that He lavished on us.  Ephesians 1:7

And so Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through His own blood.  Hebrews 13:12

But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.  1 John 1:7

A nurse sticks a needle into my arm to draw a little blood.  A Roman soldier drove nails in Jesus' hands and feet.  Later, a spear was driven between His ribs, puncturing His heart. 

It is easy for me to give blood.  To give His blood, it cost Jesus His very life.

I give blood to be assured of my own health.  Jesus gave blood not for Himself but for the whole world.  Whoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.  From John 3:16.

So, while I'm having a little blood drawn, I'll use that time to breathe a silent prayer, thanking my Savior for shedding His blood for me and for all who trust in His sacrifice that brought forgiveness and new life. 

Through His blood.