Monday, March 18, 2019

Lord, loosen his tongue!


Lord, Loosen His Tongue!
            
           When my dear, sweet wife and I were blessed with our first child, we were over the moon with joy.  I remember walking into the nursery each morning and quietly watching our little daughter sleep.  I couldn’t get over the fact that we two had become three.  We praised God for this wonderful blessing.  Our lives had changed.  But we couldn’t wait to see where life would lead us. 

Parenting is a very rewarding experience.  Parenting is also a lot of work.  It’s a 24-7-365 kind of job.  And there is a certain feeling that when you’ve raised those kids and they go off to college or get married and get a job or pursue some dream that they have, you, as a parent, have reached some sort of invisible “finish line.”  Of course, that’s not true.  There is no finish line.  You are always a parent.  They are always your kids.
            
            Being a grandparent is different.  Your happiness at the birth of a grandchild is different.  Now you are happy and excited for your kids, that God has blessed them with the gift of life.  You look forward to loving that baby and, as the child grows older, to spoil them – within reason – and to impart wisdom and guidance as the opportunities arise.
            
            We are blessed with seven grandchildren. These children provide a joy that I can’t explain.  But people around church tell me that I light up when I see one of those precious grandkids.  That sounds like a pretty good description of what your grandchild can do to you.
            
             I say all of this because an incident that St. Mark describes in his Gospel – the healing of a deaf and mute man, found in chapter seven.  Some of the man’s friends brought the fellow to Jesus and asked for the Lord’s help.  Jesus responded in a way we haven’t seen from Him often.  Verse 33 reads: After He took him aside, away from the crowd, Jesus put His fingers into the man’s ears.  Then He spit and touched the man’s tongue.  Sometimes Jesus heals with a simple touch and sometimes just by speaking a word.  In this case, what better way to communicate to a deaf and mute man what the Lord intended to do for him?
            
            Next, Jesus sighed deeply and then spoke one word: Ephphatha, which means “be opened!”  The good news in verse 35 reads: At this, the man’s ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly.
            
            This text is meaningful because, shortly after his birth, my oldest grandson needed his tongue to be loosened.  At a time when toddlers begin to form words, my grandson could only make a few sounds.  Fortunately, my daughter and her husband quickly sought help and learned that my grandson had apraxia.  In laymen’s terms, those with apraxia know in their brain that they want to communicate with words but, for some reason, the brain and tongue don’t seem to work together.
            
            Given this diagnosis, night after night, my family and I would pray, “Lord, loosen his tongue! Help him to speak!” And, at just the right time, the Lord answered our prayer.
            
            Not as dramatically as the story of the deaf and mute man but amazing just the same.  With the help of a caring and patient speech therapist, my grandson slowly began to form words.  The difficult consonants became easier to speak.  Certain letters that he couldn’t pronounce suddenly became easier to say.  The progress was slow but still remarkable.
            
            Now, at age 10, my grandson has no trouble communicating with his parents, family, teachers, friends and total strangers! Years ago he used to sit on my lap during children’s messages.  He had no problem responding to my questions or adding his own comments to the story I was telling. At the time, a newer member of our church was surprised to learn that he had apraxia.  “He talks so well and so clearly,” she said.  “I think there have been a few times when he was going to take over for you and do the message himself!”
            
            My oldest grandson, a pastor? Maybe God loosed his tongue so that he might one day proclaim the Gospel of Jesus to others.
            
            I wouldn’t mind that at all.