Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Be faithful...

Sometimes my sinful nature wants to take over and lead me to believe that if anything good is to happen in my ministry it will be up to me - my efforts, my wisdom, my power will be what is needed to carry out my calling to the church.

Whenever I fall prey to this thinking, I always become stressed out, harried and depressed.  Not a  healthy way to live for sure.  A very helpful person gave me some excellent advice, which I later had written on a plaque.  It sets on the corner of my desk where I can see it every day.  It reads:

Be faithful and watch what God does.

This was his way of telling me that I didn't have to be a "super pastor," somehow thinking that if any kind of ministry happens in the church, it's all up to me.  That's what Satan would have me believe; that's what many church growth experts espouse; that's what my sinful nature wants to hear.

But God has not called me to greatness or busyness; He has called me to be faithful.  When I simply carry out the calling He has placed upon me - to preach and teach the Gospel and administer the sacraments and be available to His people when they need me, His Holy Spirit can and will work mightily to change hearts and bring people into the kingdom. 

"It's not up to me"...what a wonderful thought that is.

The same is true in your calling - be a faithful spouse, father or mother, son or daughter, employee or employer, friend, servant - and watch what God does in your life and in the lives of everyone else.  God is faithful (1 Thessalonians 5:24).  Trust Him today and watch what he does!