Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The word for the day is "blessed"

Did you know that the Sermon on the Mount can be read in 15 minutes? Matthew writes: "His disciples came to Him, and He began to teach them." Jesus begins by teaching them what it means to be blessed.

In the Greek, the word is "Makarios." Some Bible translations use the word "happy."  Others "fortunate."  The use of those words causes some problems for me.

"Happy" has as its primary meaning an emotional state.  "Fortunate" too often is understood to mean "to have good luck."  And, to be honest, happy is the last thing I feel when I am poor in spirit because I realize just how far short I fall in living according to God's will...or when I mourn the loss of a church family member and I see how this loss has created such sorrow for the family.

I am not happy when I am mistreated by others, especially those who seek to hurt my family or my reputation...or when I become frustrated with my lack of spiritual growth and fall to the same pet sins again and again.

No, the proper word is "blessed."  The Beatitudes do not tell us how to become blessed; they rather describe the blessedness that already belongs to all believers in Christ.  The beginning of Jesus' sermon mentions eight ways in which all Christians are blessed.  All Christians are poor in spirit.  They all mourn and are meek.  They all hunger and thirst for righteousness and are merciful and pure in heart.  They are peacemakers and are persecuted for righteousness.

So even when I am unhappy, God comforts me by reminding me of the blessings I already have in Christ.  I am comforted and filled and have been and continue to be shown mercy and I am a Son of God. 

Blessed is George.  Blessed are you!