Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Smile of New Life

This week I'm studying the apostle Paul's words to the Philippians in chapter four, verses four though seven.  This is, of course, where Paul brings his emphasis on "joy" to a crescendo.  The word, "rejoice," in verse four is an imperative - Paul is emphasizing that joy should be a continual, habitual part of the life of a believer.

In one of my journals I noted some comments from author Eugene Peterson on the topic of joy.  I failed to note where I found these quotes.  I think Peterson offers some great insight.  I particularly like the point that joy is not something we create or find.  Joy comes from the Lord.

Joy is not a requirement of Christian discipleship, it is a consequence...it is what comes to us when we are walking in the way of faith and obedience.

All suffering, all pain, all emptiness, all disappointment is seed: sow it in God and He will, finally, bring a crop of joy from it.

The joy comes because God knows how to wipe away tears, and, in His resurrection work, create the smile of new life.  Joy is what God gives, not what we work up.