Monday, December 31, 2012

My New Year's Resolution

Do you know many folks who make New Year's resolutions? I asked a few people yesterday at church about resolutions and the common response was laughter - "What? I don't make resolutions.  They just get broken anyway Hahahahahahahaha!"

I get that.  Nobody's perfect.  Resolutions get forgotten or broken so many folks just don't bother.

But the idea of a resolution brings with it the idea that in some part of my life, I can strive for improvement.  With the Lord's help, I can do better.  And that's a good thing, right?

So here goes...in 2013 I resolve not to own my worries but to give them over to the Lord.

I come from a long line of worriers.  My Mom worried about everything.  About 99 percent of the stuff she worried about never happened.  But she figured that it could happen so that gave her ample reason for worry. 

My inspiration for this resolution is Philippians, chapter four.  The apostle Paul wrote: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

I'm really tired of letting worry impact my life in so many unhealthy ways. Why should I wrestle with my worries until I get wrapped up and pinned down by them? I worship a great big God.  His strength is unmatched and His wisdom is without equal.  Nothing is impossible for God.

He bids me to bring my anxious thoughts and worrisome situations and leave them at His throne.  What better offer could a worrier receive? And on top of it, God promises to exchange my worries for His peace.  This peace comes from knowing that I am a baptized child of God, a member of the Lord's kingdom.  I am a forgiven child of God and there is no sin or transgression that the Lord hasn't forgiven and forgotten. 

This will be a struggle.  You don't spend 60 years of your life worrying and then just stop.  There will be lots of prayer involved.  There will probably be plenty of times when I'll have to stop and repent and confess my ownership of my worries.  But then I'll turn them back over to the Lord and let His peace wash over me. 

That's my New Year's Resolution.  What's yours? Send me an email: licl@licl.org.  I'll pray for you and you can pray for me.

Have a blessed new year!