Monday, December 3, 2012

Let's go to sermon!

Rev. Scott Murray writes the "Memorial Moment," a daily email missive that folks can subscribe to.  He is a gifted writer and theologian (or maybe it should be the other way around).  A few months ago he wrote something that caught my eye.

The people of Martin Luther's time, instead of saying, "Let's go to Mass (service)," said, "Let's go to sermon."  They thought the proclamation of the Word as the center and focus of the whole service's activity.  How right this is.  The whole was known by its most important part.

I fear today that many churches and pastors have lost sight of this important distinction.  What I mean is that is seems that in many churches the sermon and God's Word have been left to serve the music and the praise band.  Some folks choose a church based on how the praise band sounds and whether or not the music is the newest and latest they hear on the radio.  To be sure, music is an important part of worship.  Music and hymns give us the words that we often want to express as we offer thanksgiving to God for the gift of His Son, Christ Jesus. 

But the music is to serve the Word.  I can go to church and do just fine without singing one song or hymn.  But I cannot do without the Word of God.  I cannot do without God's Holy Supper.  These are the gifts that give and nourish faith.  They are like water that nourishes a plant.  I can live without music.  I cannot live without the Means of Grace.

Don't get me wrong - I love music.  Music so often gives expression to what I feel deep in my soul.  It helps me respond to God's grace and mercy, His forgiveness and salvation.  But music can never be the focal point of any worship service.  To borrow from the prophet, Joshua, "As for me and my house, we shall go to sermon!"