Saturday, May 20, 2017

See you later, Jim

It was a lovely evening in the last week of October, 2004.  I was getting ready to do a Q n' A with the people of Life in Christ Lutheran Church, Peoria, AZ.  The congregation was preparing to call a new pastor and I was on the list.  Before we began I walked around introducing myself to folks.  One man reached out for my hand and said, "I'm Jim Horner."  I asked, "Are you related to Bob Horner, the great Arizona State baseball player?" Jim proudly replied, "I'm his Dad!"

That's how my friendship with Jim Horner began.  For the next 12 years I got to know him better as he faithfully worshiped every Sunday at Life in Christ.  Jim loved to be in God's House, loved to receive the Lord's Supper.  I was blessed to know this disciple of Jesus.

This morning at 11 am the congregation and I will gather together to say, "See you later, Jim."  We are confident that we will see Jim again, on the Last Day when Jesus returns to judge the living and the dead, to separate the sheep from the goats, to send some to eternal judgment and the rest, the believers in Jesus, to eternal life.

There will be a reception for family and friends following the service.  If you knew Jim or the family, I'm sure they would be pleased to have you join them.

Our Saturday service takes place later today at 5 pm.  The Kevin Svec group will provide music for all three services this weekend.  Tomorrow is Confirmation Sunday.  We have two services - 8 and 11 am - with Bible classes for all ages at 9:30 am.  Please come and worship with us at LICL!