Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Are You A Pew Potato?



 My dear, sweet wife accuses me of being a couch potato.  I hate to admit it but I’m guilty as charged.
           
I’d rather watch Phil Mickelson tee it up instead of playing 18 holes myself.  I’d rather watch a professional fisherman haul in a big catfish instead of bating a hook and trying it myself.  I’d rather watch a home improvement program instead of trying to find my tool box (it’s the red box covered with cobwebs) instead of trying to build or repair something myself.
            
But lately this couch potato has been thinking that it’s time to get off the couch!
            
Why the change of heart? When you get right down to it, it’s much more fun participating than watching…it’s more healthier to be actively involved than passively sitting on the fence…it’s better to be on the playing field instead of being in the bleachers.  You get my drift, right?
            
Golf caddy, Neil Oxman, gets it.  He says, “I tell my friends that if you are a sports fan and you caddy at a PGA tour event it will change your life forever.  There is absolutely no other way to be that close to a sport without actually playing it.  You can’t go on a field at a baseball game…when you caddy you are on the field…it is an amazing feeling to be there.”
            
I’m convinced – being a part of the game is so much better than being a couch potato.  I’m sure it beats being a pew potato too.
            
What’s a pew potato? This is someone who watches what goes on at church, admires and even rejoices at the mission and ministry of the church but warms a pew or seat each Sunday without ever getting involved.
            
My friend, Randy, used to be a pew potato.  He was a member of a fairly large church and he found it was real easy to blend in to the crowd and let others serve or do important tasks.
            
Then Randy was given the chance to help plant a new mission church in a nearby community.  In this new congregation, pew potatoes were not allowed.  Everyone was expected to use their gifts and abilities to glorify God and to help others.
            
As the new church began to reach people and grow, Randy discovered the gift of leadership by organizing church members into groups so that Sunday morning worship went smoothly.  He found that he had the gift of teaching and enjoyed spending time with the older youth of the church.  He learned that he had the gift to comfort and counsel and people who were dealing with troubles and challenges in their life appreciated the time and the prayers that Randy offered them.
            
Randy found out how exciting it was to be an active servant instead of a passive pew sitter.  His service to the Lord’s church changed his life.  God blessed Randy in ways he could have never imagined.  All because he raised his hand to a simple request – how would you like to help more people get to know Jesus?
            
Have you gotten a little too comfortable seated on your favorite pew? Ask the Holy Spirit to give you a gentle poke in the ribs.  When there’s a need for volunteers, raise your hand.  When there’s an invitation to go on a mission trip, pack your bag.  God just might work through you to change the life of another person.

From "Wake Up With The Word" 2013