Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Better than all the riches in the world!

Some books are so good that you just have to read them again and again.  I'm on my second reading of Dan Paavola's exceptionally great book, "Our Way Home." Paavola offers a fresh new way of looking at the Lord's Prayer.  Not only does the reader gain new insights into the prayer Jesus taught us to pray, Paavola's book is helpful for bringing new life to your prayer and devotional life. It's that good!

Paavola quotes Martin Luther a number of time (which I like) so here is something Paavola captured from the Large Catechism:

Therefore, there is no nobler prayer to be found upon earth than the Lord's Prayer. We pray it daily (Matthew 6:11) because it has this excellent testimony, that God loves to hear it.  We ought not to surrender this for all the riches of the world.  Taken from "Concordia," part three, paragraph 23.

I remember talking with a person from my first congregation who surprised me by saying, "I've moved on from the Lord's Prayer.  My own prayers are of more value to me." It's a good thing I'm not Martin Luther for Luther probably would have cuffed this person upside the head, as the say. Yes, we have specific petitions which we offer to God in prayer.  But, my friendly readers, do not forsake the Lord's Prayer. It gives voice to our heart and is music to the Father's ears.

Paavola's book "Our Way Home" is available from Concordia Publishing House