Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Good advice from Simon Cowell?

I am not much of a fan of American Idol.  Haven't watched it for years.  But I have to admit that Simon Cowell was curiosity.  He could be brutal in his evaluations of those participating on the program.  During his time on the program, folks either loved or hated him.  There was no middle ground when it came to Simon Cowell.  It was obvious that he knew something about the music business.  But his words to the performers were not seasoned with much grace.

So imagine my surprise when I found myself writing something in my journal that Cowell said.  I was flipping through channels when I came across a program called, "The Big Interview," hosted by news veteran, Dan Rather.  Cowell was his guest.  This was not a program I was going to spend time watching.  I was just about to move on when Rather asked Cowell about his father.

"Something," said Cowell, "my Dad taught me when I was very young...'It's very simple; everybody has a sign on his forehead that says, Make me feel important'."

How true.  How true.

We all want to feel important.  We all want to know we are valued -whether it be by our spouse, kids, employer, co-workers, teammates and so on.

How would it change your day if you made the effort to make everyone you come in contact with feel important and worthwhile? How might they respond to you? Is it possible that you might find them more cooperative, more helpful and more pleasant to you (and maybe others)?

Jesus said in John 15:16 - You did not choose me but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last.

The Lord's Words make me feel important.  Before I ever had an inkling that I should be pursuing Jesus, He sought me out, chose me to be His own, and filled me with the desire to bear good fruit - words and works offered in love and to God's glory to those around me.

Like making others feel important.

Who can you make feel important today?