Thursday, September 4, 2014

It's that time again to pick the winners!

The pro football season begins tonight and so does a quest to dominate a certain football pool.

My friend, Michele, and I work together to pick the winners in her office football pool.  I don't mean to brag but we've done pretty well for ourselves.  So much so that some in her office believe that we are receiving a little "divine" help, seeing how I'm a pastor and all.

But this is not true! I have not developed a "picking the winners prayer to the glory of God!"  God has more important matters than to offer His assistance to help us dominate this year's pool, which is our stated goal (however, we do want to be humble winners as we collect the cash each week).

The interesting thing is that the less time I spend researching the games the more success we have.  One year I spent hours each week comparing schedules, searching the net for stories on injured players, charting winning and losing streaks and then - nothing! All my research to help us get an edge failed to take us to the winner's circle.

Last year I simplified things, gave Michele the picks and we started to win.  It was fun! So I continued with the new approach and we had success.  I like it when Michele can strut around her office, her fellow workers shaking in their boots as the monster of the football pool collects her winnings!

So here we go again.  I'll let you know how it all turned out.  Now who do I like in the Packers vs. the Seahawks....