Wednesday, October 15, 2014

A humble superstar

I read a nice story this morning in the local paper about ASU football player, D.J. Foster.  Anytime he gets his hands on the ball good things can happen.  Whether he's operating as a running back or as a receiver, Foster is explosive and he can make life miserable for defenses that have to stop him.  He will be expected to have a big game against Stanford, a team with one of the best defenses in the PAC 12.

Foster is one of the leaders on the team.  His teammates look up to him and admire him.  And in an age when some collage footballers are seemingly set on promoting themselves (ever heard of Johnny Football?), Foster seems quite unique - a humble superstar.

A friend said of Foster: "D.J. may be the most talented person I know, and when we sat down at a restaurant and I brought up football, I could tell he didn't want any part of it.  He appeased me - knowing I'm a huge sports fan - but everything he said was about his teammates, and there wasn't a single mention of his own accomplishments or accolades.  Not even a humble brag."

When I was growing up I remember my pastor once telling me, "George, when you do things well, you don't have to brag or boast about them.  The people who see your accomplishments and achievements, the people who see you helping others or being nice to people will speak up for you.  Let them do so.  You don't have to toot your own horn.  You've got a whole orchestra playing behind you."

I don't know how or when Foster learned something about being a humble person, focusing not on your his accomplishments but looking for ways to help others.  But I can see a whole orchestra lining up behind him.  I hope he keeps setting this good example for his teammates...and for me.