Friday, October 17, 2014

"Call upon it in every trouble"

So last Sunday I told everyone at church I was cutting up my platinum card to the Worry Store.  And I did.

But that, in and of itself, doesn't help a person deal with worry or anxiety.

Thankfully, Martin Luther gave me some very good advice.

In his explanation to the Second Commandment in the Small Catechism, Luther teaches that we should not misuse the name of the Lord your God but "call upon it in every trouble, pray, praise and give thanks."

So that's what I've been doing this week.  And it works!

Understand, I'm not surprised that calling on the name of the Lord when anxiety or worry begins to attack is an important thing to do.  I'm surprised that I've not been doing the very thing God invites me to do!

Psalm 50:15 - Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor Me.

That's what the 10 lepers did when they saw Jesus coming their way.

That's what a desperate mother did when she sought healing for her daughter.

That's what a fearful father did when multiple demons had completely taken over his son's life.

So each morning this week during my devotions I've been calling upon the name of the Lord, pouring out my every concern, asking for help and faith and peace.

Each day, whenever I've been tempted to worry about a meeting or a contact or getting something prepared, I've called on the name of the Lord.

Praise God! I've received a sense of peace, peace that the Lord gives.  The Holy Spirit has brought comforting Words from Holy Scripture to my mind, reminding me that the Lord is near and that in my weakness, His strength will empower me to trust and believe.

It's been a wonderful week.  I thought I prayed a lot.  But I haven't prayed as much as I have this week.

And that's good.  I've been reminded again of just how much I need the Lord - His help and power and strength.

Even now, I'm starting to feel anxious.  But there will be no trip to the Worry Store for me today.

Time to retreat to my quiet place, grab God's Word and call on the name of the Lord.

If you're trying to become an ex-Worry Store shopper, try this.  Call on the name of the Lord.  Tell God about your troubles.  Ask Him for just what you need.  Praise Him for His power and compassion.  Give thanks to the Lord for He is good for His mercy endures forever!

Have a blessed day!