Thursday, October 16, 2014

The 80's are coming

In the Valley of the Sun, Fall doesn't begin when the calendar says it should begin.

Fall usually starts about now, in the middle of the month of October.  This is the time when we know that those 100 degree days are behind us and temps are soon to fall into the 80's each day.

This is good news for me.

A few years ago, when I was suffering from some back issues, I found the best therapy for me was walking.  So I took a t-shirt, shorts and my Nike's to work and at noontime I quickly changed clothes and walked up and down the road to the south of the church.

Since Life in Christ is located on a county island (surrounded by the city of Peoria) the homes on Banff Street are built on one and two acre lots.  A number of folks have horses.  Others have goats, chickens and one homeowner has a pot-bellied pig.  And there are dogs - lots of dogs!

It makes for an interesting walk.  And it's an opportunity for good exercise.

I'm on Weight Watchers and I've been watching the numbers on the bathroom scale fall.

Walking will help to keep that weight off.  And walking by myself gives me time to think and pray and give thanks to God for family and work and for the many blessings I've received from His gracious hand.  And I can especially give thanks for Jesus, my patient and loving Lord and Savior.

Sometimes people are led to believe that unless they have some kind of gym membership, they really aren't serious about exercise and fitness.

But that's not true.  I keep reading more and more how a 30 minute walk, three times a week, has all kinds of positive benefits for good health.

Go for it! And maybe I'll see you on the street!