Monday, January 19, 2015

2014 Book Reading List

Last year I read 23 books.  That's basically a book every two weeks.  I think this means that I was probably doing some reading when I should have been doing something else.  Well, anyway, here's the list...

"Scorecasting" by Tobias Moskowitz and L. Jon Weretheim.  Does home field provide an advantage? You bet it does and "Scorecasting" offers proof and a whole lot more.

"One Way Love" by Tullian Tchividjian.  The grandson of the Rev. Billy Graham makes the point that "grace is all you need!"

"From Doon with Death," by Ruth Rendell.  PD James is my favorite detective fiction writer.  From her I learned about Ruth Rendell, another master at the genre.  This is a Detective Wexford novel, someone who has become a good literary friend.

"Waging Heavy Peace," by Neil Young.  Another book about drugs, sex and rock and roll.  And a bit more.

"Killing Kennedy," by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard.  This is the second in their series and while a breezy read, I learned some things I wasn't aware about Kennedy and Dallas.

"The Last Banner," by Peter May.  My favorite basketball player is Larry Bird.  This is the story of the last banner hung by Bird and the 1986 Celtics.

"The Girl Who Played With Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest,"Stieg Larson.  Part of a trilogy of books by an author who died well before his time.  Couldn't put them down.

"Killing Jesus," by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard.  I wasn't really interested in reading this book.  But again, while a breezy read, I gained a few insights that I hadn't expected.

"Team of Rivals," by Doris Kerns Goodwin.  This book is the foundation for the Stephen Spielberg movie, "Lincoln."  You can't read this book and come away with less than an attitude of awe for our 16th President.

"Man on the Run," by Tom Doyle.  The story of Paul McCartney following the break up of the Beatles.  The book answers the question, "What do you do after you've been in the Beatles?"

"The Beatles - The BBC Archives," by Kevin Howlett.  So many books have been written about the Fab Four.  Howlett focuses on how the Beatles and the BBC helped each other, especially in the early years of Beatlemania.

"Murder Being Once Done," by Ruth Rendell.  I had to have another dose of Inspector Wexford.

"Game of Thrones," by George RR Martin.  I don't have HBO so I decided to read the book to see what all the hoopla was all about.  An exciting read - looking forward to plowing into the rest of the books.

"Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust," by Ken Scott and Bobby Owsinski.  Scott is a first class music producer and engineer.  I really loved learning about his work with the Fab Four.

"The Son," by Jo Nesbo.  I knew nothing about this author's work until I watched a Charlie Rose interview with Nesbo.  He's the creator of the Harry Hole murder mysteries.  "The Son" is a stand alone book, gripping and thrilling until the very last page.

"The Light of Eiden," by Karen Hancock.  This is a "Game of Thrones" wannabe infused with Christian themes.  I'd read another of Hancock's books.

"Before Amen," by Max Lucado.  This is a rather slight book, only 100 pages (the lengthy studyguide in the back of the book offers additional padding.  Lucado offers encouragement to those who find it hard to get in a regular groove of prayer.

"Just Shy of Harmony," by Philip Gulley.  Book two in the "Harmony" series of books by a gifted author who knows how to spin a simple but spellbinding yarn.

"Johnny Carson," by Henry Bushkin.  Bushkin was the attorney for the "King of Late Night" for years and knew Carson as well as anyone could know Carson.  For all his money and acclaim, Bushkin paints Carson was a tortured and lonely man.

"Fresh Doubt," by Eva Hudson.  This was an e-book, set in London.  Frustrating at times but also suspenseful.

"Unbroken," by Laura Hillenbrand.  This one was, without a doubt, the best book I read in 2014 and I don't understand why I took so long to get to it.  Hillenbrand is a storyteller par excellence.  It is impossible to read this book and not be in awe of Louis Zamperini, his courage and, ultimately, his faith.

"Not a Tame God," by Steven P. Mueller.  A look at the Christology in the writings of CS Lewis.

As far as this year is concern, I've already got a stack of books ready to be read.  So, if you don't mind, I think I'll get to it....