Friday, January 9, 2015

My new year's resolution

Yeah, I know, most folks don't make New Year's resolutions because they don't keep them so why make them, blah, blah, blah.

I'm making one resolution and I intend to keep it.

I resolve to to a flu shot.

I've made fun of our office administrator, Connie, for several years now about flu shots.  She always gets one.  She's offered to take me along with her.  I have arrogantly told her, "I don't need one!"

This year, I needed one.

The day after Christmas I started to feel badly.  By the 28th I thought I had fought off whatever was troubling me.  This was good because we were slated to spend a week of vacation in Southern California.

That evening the flu came with a vengeance.

Fever...chills...shakes...sweats.  My wife said it felt like she was sleeping in a vibrating bed.

Finally went to Urgent Care and got a prescription for antibiotics.

Vacation was shot.  I spent most of the time in bed.  Ate lots of chicken soup (which isn't so bad because my wife makes great soup!).  I started feeling better by the weekend and thought I'd be ready for a new work week.

But I wasn't ready.  I lasted 5 hours in the office on Tuesday and went home.  Saw my doctor the next day.  He suspected that I had picked up a bacterial bug that is going around.  He prescribed a new round of antibiotics.

I got some of the necessary stuff at work done yesterday and came home early.  But I got a good night's sleep and I'm starting to feel better today.

That's good.  I have a group of new pastors coming to visit with whom I'll be spending part of the weekend.  We have two memorial services tomorrow at LICL - for Pastor Dave Darling and Davonna Crouch, both loved by their families, friends and church family.  And Sunday will be a full day as well.

A few people have told me that getting a flu shot this year might not have kept me from coming down with the flu.  Doesn't matter.  If a flu shot can protect me from some of the nasty stuff that leaves you feeling like you went 12 rounds with a professional boxer, you can count me in.

Better than being counted out!