Monday, May 25, 2015

Preach the Word

When we lived in Missouri folks used to say, "If you don't like the weather, wait an hour. Something
different is sure to come."  That attitude was so true on May 25, 1997.

The morning was bright and sunny.  After lunch, storm clouds rolled in and began dumping sheets of water all through the area in which we lived.  But by 4 pm the sun returned along with milder temperatures. Just in time for the beginning of my ordination and installation in to the ministry of the Lutheran Church.

On call day I had been assigned to New Hope Lutheran Church is Festus, Missouri.  My dear, sweet wife and I were truly excited.  We had learned that the church was a mission start and had been planted by an enthusiastic group of people.  In their first year the church had experienced plenty of challenges but the Lord had carried them through each one.  They shared my enthusiasm.

People I had grown close to during my years at seminary participated in the service.  Rev. Ray Mirly, pastor of Immanuel Lutheran Church in Olivette, Missouri, and 1st Vice President of the Missouri District, led the service.  Rev. Dr. Glenn Nielsen, my favorite professor from seminary preached a wonderful sermon on 2nd Timothy 4:2.  Rev. David Schultz, my pastor from the church my family and I grew up in - Pilgrim Lutheran Church in Mesa, AZ - was the Lector.  Marj Lang, who along with her husband, Rev. Ed Lang, (who we'd gotten to know so well at the Lutheran Church of Webster Gardens) sang for us.  And many of my classmates and pastors from the circuit also participated, including my best friends - Dan Berteau, Pete Varvaris and Paul Rueckert.

Since that glorious day, I've served three congregations.  But in each place I've tried hard to heed the word of Paul - Preach the Word.

God's Word is a life saving Word.

God's Word is a faith building Word.

God's Word does what it says.  It brings comfort to the hurting, relief to the suffering and hope for the hopeless.  We can live without a great many things in this life.  We cannot live without the holy Word of God.

On my ordination day I prayed, "Lord, if you would give me 20 good years of ministry, I'd be grateful."  Today, I celebrate 18 good years.  They've not been easy at times.  I lament so much - the words I failed to say or the words I said poorly...the times I failed to act or the actions that were not helpful...the times when I just didn't trust Jesus enough and worried myself sick over stuff that usually didn't happen.

In spite of my failings, God forgives me.  God loves me.  God cares for me.

That's what I'm celebrating.  God's forgiveness, love and compassion.

You can say the same.  God forgives, loves and cares for you.

As you give thanks for the brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country, you can give thanks also for your Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, who made a sacrifice that none of us could have made.  He took the burden of the world's sins on His shoulders and paid for them with His very life.

Celebrate and give thanks again today for God's forgiveness, love and compassion for you.