Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Be faithful! Worship!

Email can really pile up when you've been on vacation.

Last Wednesday I returned to work after being away for three weeks.  I sat down, turned on the computer and went to my email.

They came.  And they came.  And they came some more.

672 emails! 6-7-2!

Never had I ever had so many folks wanted to communicate with me.

To be honest, not all of the emails were written directly to me. I'm on a bunch of emailing lists (although I'm not sure how that happened).  I receive a couple of daily devotionals.  I also get a couple of weekly updates from folks who work in and write about the church.

One of those folks I read regularly is Thom Rainer.  He has a deep love for the church and has been offering encouragement to pastors and their churches for years.

One of his email reports quickly got my attention.  Rainer wrote:

Several years ago, we considered the most active church member who attended church three times a week...Do you know how much that perspective has changed in just a few years? Today, many pundits define an active church member as someone who attends church events or services at least three times a month.

In the meaning to the Third Commandment, Martin Luther wrote: "We should fear and love God so that we do not despise preaching and His Word, but hold it sacred and gladly hear and learn it."

The question is, "How do we despise preaching and the Word of God?

In confirmation classes we teach that this happens when we do not attend public worship...when we do not use God's Word and Sacraments...when we used these gifts of God negligently or carelessly.

In the Means of Grace, God offers forgiveness which gives peace.  God provides comfort which calms anxious hearts.  God gives the promise of life eternal which strengthens hope - for today and forever.

Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you made be careful to do everything written in it.  Joshua 1:8

I love the house where you live, O Lord, the place where your glory dwells.  Psalm 26:8

Blessed rather are those who hear the Word of God and obey it.  Luke 11:28

Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly and as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16.

May God empower our church to preach the sweet Gospel message of forgiveness and salvation in Christ Jesus so that the Holy Spirit might work to strengthen faith and move us all to faithfully worship at every opportunity!