Tuesday, September 8, 2015

A day of sports games!

Connie, our Administrative Assistant at church, is not a big fan of sports.  In fact, she's not a fan at all.

I think she watches one sporting event a year - the Super Bowl.  And she freely admits that she might nap through the game.  (I understand this - some Super Bowl games are less interesting than the commercials that air throughout the game).

Anyway, on some Fridays she'll ask, "What are you going to do this weekend? Watch some sports games?"

"Sports games."  That's a phrase that none of my friends use.  I would never contact my friend, Jerry, and ask him, "Are you going to watch a sports game on Sunday?"  I'd ask, "Jerry, what time do the Packers play?"  And he'll know because Jerry bleeds Packers green and gold.

Anyway, I spent Labor Day doing nothing but watching sports games!

My dear, sweet wife was out of town.  I had the television all to myself.  It was perfect!

I watched Germany take down Scotland in a very exciting UEFA qualifying match.  Germany boasts the best soccer team in the world so to see the Scots play a very competitive game was thrilling. I saw Ricky Fowler come from behind to win a golf tourney.  I saw Andy Murray lose and Roger Federer win at the US Open.  I watched a few innings of the Dodgers/Angels baseball game just to hear the great Vin Scully call the action.  There is nobody better.

And I managed to squeeze in a movie - "The King's Speech."  This film is a true story about friendship and overcoming physical challenges.  Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush are magnificent.

By the time Federer had taken control of his match, Sherri arrived home from her trip.  Off went the television.  Sherri filled me in on all she had done while visiting our daughter, Katie, and her family.

So, by my standards, it was a very good day - a day of sports games!