Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Put between a rock and a hard place

One of the columnists at the local newspaper has found Grand Canyon University a worthwhile subject to write about.

He learned that Grand Canyon does not offer the same benefits to same-sex married couples as are offered to, how do I put this, regular married couples.

That would be those one man-one woman married couples.  Those who have been married according to the guidelines that God set in the doctrine of marriage.  You can read all about it in the Bible -Genesis, chapter two.

To not grant these benefits to same-sex married couples is failure to show Christian love.

To fail to grant these benefits would prove a lack of Christian values on GCU's part.

It is also a Christian value to hear the Word of God and obey it.  So says Jesus.

So, perhaps, GCU's policy does demonstrate that the college practices what it preaches.

Pressure is being brought to bear on GCU not only by the newspaper but also by the ACLU.

If GCU doesn't get on board, so to speak, they will certainly face legal action.

I don't know what the leadership at Grand Canyon will do.

Maybe it's time for a "Here I stand" moment.

When Luther was called on by Charles V at the Diet of Worms to recant his critical writings against the Roman church the great reformer had to make a stand.

"Unless I am convinced by the teachings of Holy Scripture or by sound reasoning - for I do not believe either the pope or councils alone, since they have often made mistakes and have even said the exact opposite about the same point - I am tied by the Scriptures I have quoted and by my conscience. I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither safe nor right.  Here I stand.  God help me.  Amen."

We watched Hobby Lobby take a stand.  Maybe God will empower GCU to do the same.