Thursday, September 24, 2015

Top 10 Favorite Movies

A few weeks ago a friend shared with me his top ten favorite movies.  I thought to myself, "This guy has too much time on his hands."

Lo and behold, guess what I did for awhile last Monday? Maybe I've got more time than I thought I did!

Anyway, I put my list together.  It didn't take too much time.  I just thought about the movies I seem to enjoy watching again and again.  What I noticed about the list is that I like movies that center around sports in some way and that I really am drawn to movies with an inspirational story line.

So, for better or worse, his my list.

10) The Return of the Pink Panther - Well, I like Peter Sellers...a lot.  And this first movie of the franchise is hilarious.

9) Gregory's Girl - This is a coming of age movie that I could relate to.  I was every bit as dorky and clueless in my teen days as Gregory.

8) A Few Good Men - Aaron Sorkin crafts dialog like few can do.  If the courtroom scene between Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise doesn't cause the hair to rise on the back of your neck, check your pulse.

7) Miracle - The story of the 1980 Olympic Hockey Team that took down the mighty Russian squad.  Will never forget Al Michaels' call: "Do you believe in miracles? YES!"

6) Amadeus - What do I like more? Listening to Mozart's timeless music or the performances of Tom Hulse or F. Murray Abraham? Tough choice.

5) Invictus - How do you hold together a country that is tearing apart? Have the rugby team will the world championship.

4) A Hard Days Night - This movie was made on a shoestring budget because the producer felt the Beatles would crash and burn quickly.  Roger Ebert, the famous film critic, in his review of the film, called the Beatles "the new Marx Brothers."  And the music ain't bad, either.

3) The King's Speech - The best movie about friendship I've seen.

2) The Sound of Music - For my money the greatest musical ever made.

1) Schlinder's List - Steven Spielberg has made so many great movies.  If this is not his best movie, it is his most important.