Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Some observations about "The War Room"

A couple of our members blessed us with tickets to see the film, "The War Room," last night.  This is the latest in a series of movies produced, written and directed by the Kendrick Brothers, the fellows who brought us "Fireproof" and "Courageous" among others.

As usual, secular reviewers found much to dislike about the film.  But given how "The War Room" dominated the box office in its first few weeks of release it is hard to simply ignore this movie. Several folks at LICL had seen the movie and gave it rave reviews.  My dear, sweet wife and I join that crowd.

I didn't know any of the actors in the film but they all gave fine performances.  A couple of scenes could have been shortened a bit but the pacing of the film was fine.  Critics have complained that the plot was too predictable.  But I didn't find that to be the case (there were several plot twists that I didn't see coming).  With each film the Kendrick Brothers have been able to work with a larger production budget; "The War Room" looks like a major motion picture production and that just gives more credibility to faith based films.

The emphasis of the film is the importance of prayer in the life of a Christian.  I liked how praying Scripture was stressed throughout the film.  I kept thinking of our "52" effort this year and how committing Scripture to memory aids a believer in their prayer life.  I don't know of too many people who have enough closet space in their homes to empty one out to make a prayer closet (not at our house!).  But I liked how the filmed showed that creating a place where a person can be alone to pray to God can be a place of blessing.

I was glad were kind enough to enable us to see "The War Room."  If you haven't, go see the film yourself.  It just might motivate you to clear out a closet and set up your own "war room."