Tuesday, December 23, 2014

What happened to my well organized life?

A couple of weeks ago I revealed to the kids (and the congregation) here at church that I thought there were two weeks left until Christmas when, actually, there were only 10 days remaining.

I've been running behind ever since.

On Monday, I wrote my Christmas Eve sermon and got the services for 12/28 and 12/31 ready to go.

I left the office last night thinking that I was right on schedule and had two more days to finish up my work.

What was I thinking anyway?

I come in this morning and Connie wants to know where the Saturday service is.

Oops!

She also needs "Treasuring God's Word" for the coming week so it can be included in Sunday's bulletin.

Double Oops!

Suddenly I realized that I was behind and keeping people from getting their work done.

We scrambled and with some creative maneuvering I think we've got things covered.

I consider myself as rather organized person.  But this year I feel like I'm running a four lap race and I gave the field a one lap head start.

I can see the finish line and I'm gonna make it.  But it sure has been a struggle.

Praise God that I can stop running on Christmas Eve.  What a joy it will be at the Candlelight services when the lights go down, the candles are lit and we sing softly "Silent night, holy night.  All is calm, all is bright."

My heart's racing right now.  But a sense of calm will settle over me and the rest of our worshipers as we think and rejoice over that glorious moment when the angels proclaim, "For this day in the city of David a Savior has been born to you - He is Christ the Lord!"

Jesus...the One who can calm every restless heart.  Jesus...the One who can bring comfort in the midst of chaos.  He can't come quickly enough.

Come, Lord Jesus.