Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Happy birthday to me!

At a place where I used to work we celebrated birthdays.  One of the co-workers always sang, "Happy birthday to me..." It was funny for a while and then not so funny.

Actually, I've not been looking forward to this day.  65 just sounds "old" to me.  It's amazing to think that you've actually lived most of your life.  Our days are numbered, of course.  It's just a little jarring to me to think I've used most of mine up.

The joy comes in knowing that for these 65 years God has poured out upon me more blessings that I could possibly ever add up.  His forgiveness and righteousness has covered me since the day of my baptism.  I belong to the Lord! I am His child! Amazing grace, indeed!

So I give thanks for my dear, sweet wife and wonderful kids and grandkids.  I give thanks for extended family and many precious friends.  I give thanks for meaningful work and having had the opportunity to serve three different congregations.  I am blessed.

Thank you, God, for another birthday!